Monday 7 April 2008

My First Bedroom

My first bedroom was where fairies gathered motionless on the walls waiting for night to come so they could dance around under the faint glow of the fairy castle lamp. Occasionally they tiptoed off the wall to tuck a silver coin beneath a pillow covered with wavy chestnut hair. In the corner stood a washbasin where tiny soapy hands scrubbed away the remains of each day’s adventures. The mirror above the basin reflected rosy marshmallow cheeks, lips plumped with a thousand questions and eyes sparkling with the thrill of the present. Next to it towered a white wardrobe with a neatly ironed green school uniform hanging on the front like a medal. Inside the wardrobe Snow White’s dress vied for space amongst hems of colourful tulle, shiny Lycra leotards and lovingly knit woollen creations.

The wardrobe was good for hide and seek and for disappearing into when I didn’t want to be found… I feel the cold metal from my tap shoes digging into my skinny legs as I crouch in the corner of the wardrobe with my eyes closed to shut out the darkness. But I stay where I am because I believe that one day the back of the wardrobe will suddenly open and lead me to a world of snow queens and talking lions and enchanted forests. A world where I can be a real Snow White, the heroine of my own fairytale. I hear my Mummy’s footsteps, followed by her voice. I know that any minute now the wardrobe door will open and I’ll have to climb back out. Back into my bedroom. My first bedroom. A room where fairies are trapped in wallpaper and can only come out at night when no one’s looking. At least they didn’t think I was. Even fairies make mistakes.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

As wonderful as usual, especially the first half and the idea of lips being plump with questions. I think you're particularly good at images connected to lips - there was something about lips in one of your previous postings which was excellent too.

pierre l said...

I hope you're OK, Sarah. You are being awfully quiet. Hugs.

jem said...

I've come this morning via Ink Haven, but now I'm here I recognise you from Sarah Salways blog too.

This piece is great, just the kind of writing I like. I'm both drawn towards and a little repelled by that bedroom. And I love the thought of the trapped fairies. We had fairy wallpaper in our bathroom in the 70's - it was strange and adult and a bit Arthur Rackham, but thanks for reminding me.