Tuesday 25 March 2008

I've Done Nothing For A While But Listen

I haven’t written on my blog for over a week. In fact I haven’t written anything at all in that time. For the last few days I’ve done nothing but listen.

I began listening last Monday. I listened for an hour to a client who I see every week as part of my work with the Community Learning Disability Team. I’ve been listening to her for nearly two years. I keep listening because she needs to be heard.

On Tuesday I listened to a friend announce the birth of her new baby boy. I listened to the agony of her labour and the ecstasy of its fruits. I listened out for the response of my own biological clock, but couldn’t hear any ticking.

On Wednesday I listened to an editor’s approval of an article I’d submitted to his magazine. I turned up the volume so I could hear his acceptance at full blast. It’s one of my favourite sounds.

On Thursday I listened to my insecurities. I tried not to, tried to tune my ears into other things, but they kept butting in. Eventually I turned on some music and managed to drown them out.

On Friday I listened to my sister and tried to keep calm.

On Saturday I listened to my Granddad’s war stories. I’ve heard them a thousand times but this time they sounded different. I realise now the stories were exactly the same – I was simply listening more intently.

On Sunday I listened to my best friend exchange wedding vows. As I stood behind her I recognised the voice of true love and couldn’t help but cry.

On Monday I listened to chocolate-flavoured whispers as they ducked in and out of the duvet.

Today I listened to the silence and decided it was time to write.

5 comments:

Kathryn's Daily Writing Workout said...

Welcome back Sarah! You've been missed - it's good to see you back on form! Out of curiosity, what kind of articles do you write? Just being thoroughly nosey!
x

pierre l said...

Like Kathryn, I have missed you. Regarding Wednesday, I assume you can't tell us the details yet; but please do tell us in good time when the article is published so we can go out and buy a copy.
What a week you've had!

Edie P said...

Hi Kathryn and Pierre

Thank you both for your supportive comments on my first day back blogging. It's scary how easy it is to get out of the swing of things...you don't write for a day, then two, then before you know it a week's passed by. But yes, it has been an eventful one at that.

As for the articles, it's not as exciting as it might sound. I freelance but only for local magazines and newspapers(I haven't been able to infiltrate the nationals yet, but that's my next aim so fingers crossed). I tend to write non-fiction articles, usually about local happenings - lifestyle, events, reviews - so it's not all that creative, but I get paid so I can't grumble!

Thanks again for your ongoing readership. I'd happily write this blog for myself, but knowing people are dropping gives me that little extra boost.

Take care x

Kathryn's Daily Writing Workout said...

How exciting to get paid for writing! I'm SO envious.

trying to write ... said...

i loved this.

xoxo
gina