Thursday 6 March 2008

Late Night Phone Call

“Hello?”

“Hi.”

“Who’s this?”

“It’s me.”

“Who?”

“Me. You know, Me.”

“Look, stop mucking around. What time is it?”

“It’s late.”

“What’s going on? Is something wrong? Is someone hurt?”

“No, nothing’s wrong. I thought you might like to speak to me that’s all.”

“Look, who is this? It’s the middle of the night.”

“I know.”

“So, why are phoning me? Who are you?”

“You know who I am.”

“Look, I’ve told you, I don’t. I’m going to put the phone down if you don’t tell me.”

“You really don’t recognise me?”

“No.”

“Look, please don’t be scared. I always wake you up in the night; just not by phone.”

“Oh my god. It’s you.”

“Yes. Now do you recognise me?”

“Yes. But…but why are you phoning me? I don’t understand.”

“I thought maybe you’d prefer it this way.”

“I…I don’t know.”

“Are you ok?”

“Yes. No. I don’t know. This is weird. Hearing your voice like this. You sound different. Your voice. It sounds different from the outside. Quieter. Further away.”

“I am further away, much further.”

“But how did you get there?”

“You shut me out.”

“Did I?”

“Yes. You’ve wanted me out for a while.”

“But…I…”

“Don’t worry. I understand. It can’t be nice being woken up every night. It’s starting to get to you, I can tell. Everyone can. That’s why you started taking the tablets.”

“I needed to sleep, that’s all. It’s nothing to do with you; I never meant to push you out. I’ve missed you the last few nights.”

“I know. That’s why I phoned, so you could still hear me.”

“Will you call again?”

“I don’t know. It’s up to you.”

“I’ll stop taking the tablets. You can come back inside.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Ok."

"So, we’ll speak soon?”

“Yes.”

“Bye then.”

“Bye.”

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Fabulous. Having suffered from insomnia for a while (although thankfully not at the moment for some reason), I can identify with this strongly!

Edie P said...

Thanks. Yep me too, it's a bugger isnt' it, thank goodness for the pills! x

Nik Perring said...

Loved this, Sarah.

Nik